Monday, October 6, 2008

Yelp Presentation!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yelp seems pretty cool. It's basically a Zagat's for all businesses. Review + Directory + Maps = Yelp. It's cool that you can make recommendations to friends about some good restaurants or not-so-rough dentists. It's also cool that the web site informs users of popular events coming up; a way to get users together. However, I don't understand the whole social networking aspect to it. Do people really need a picture or blog? It was a very informative presentation, although it would have been a little more interesting if you spiced up your effects. Kudos nonetheless.

Tiffany Flaherty it101x15

RiverP said...

Yelp is a pretty interesting site after you look through all it has to offer. It's a one stop shop for reviews on anything expect specific goods. They have more reviewed restaurants than I knew existed in Boston yet there are also reviews for colleges. Although, the college reviews are pretty limited and extremely biased. For restaurant selection, the mash up with Google maps is pretty helpful because you want to know where to find the place you just read about. The presentation was solid and easy to follow. The only problem was the camera angle and video quality but there isn't really much you, the presenters could do about that.

Garrick B. said...

I've tried other similar sites before for checking restaurant/shop reviews. Yelp is just awesome. What I like the most about the site is that it displays the companies' locations on Google maps.

Also, recently, Yelp has gone multi-platform. For example, there are many iPhone apps out there that utilize the Yelp database (Yelp, iWant, AroundMe, etc.). I know I always use them to find places to go when I get lost in Boston.

Garrick Balacuit IT101x15